Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Obama: Palin would be the lipstick


Good grief. Well, at least he doesn't think she's the pig. She's the lipstick!

Once again, I am willing to give Sen. Obama the benefit of the doubt. I believe that his initial comment about lipstick on pigs was not an intentional slam at Palin.

I also believe the comment above was a joke. But - Sen. Obama, move on. This is not helping you. At the very least, it's distracting you off your message. You just compared the second ever female candidate for VP to a lipstick! LOL. Think about it.
"Keep in mind, technically, had I meant it this way, [Palin] would be the lipstick. The failed policies of John McCain would be the pig, just following the logic of this illogical situation," Obama said. (Source here.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was reminded of once having said to my daughter, "Well you all look a like to us." Some older woman had confused her with a friend.

Thing was, her 'little sister' (who was black) was with us.

I immediately realized the statement could have been taken wrong so I explained. "Honey, face it, when we older women see pretty young girls, we can easily get them confused. Sweet, thin, pretty girls all begin to look alike."

And I'm not all that quick. But if I can realize when I might have stepped in it, I would certainly expect someone as 'smart' as everyone seems to think Obama is, to do as well.

Will said...

Well, I DID think that was what he had in mind.

But imagine the response of the PC Police if someone referred to, say, "failed policies in blackface."

Anonymous said...

McCain has become quite the politician since he got his party's nomination... he has proven time and again that his strategy for winning is based on personal attacks and distracting people from the main issues; I just hope people aren't as gullible as McCain thinks they are

Anonymous said...

I'm a liberal Democrat who is interested in the sexism around women in politics, including Gov. Palin.

This lipstick issue is killing me, though, I've gotta say. Please remember that Gov. Palin made the lipstick reference in her acceptance speech, joking that it was the only thing that differentiated hockey moms from pit bills. Second, I'm seeing her supporters all over wearing plastic lips that clearly reference her comment (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/09/11/palin-makes-her-first-appearance-in-fairbanks-alaska/). My point is, women can't pick and choose when they feel they've been victims of sexist remarks. I personally believe that lipstick doesn't have a place in politics.